Harlem Program Coordinator, The SAGE Center-Harlem Satellite Office
The SAGE Center is the nation’s first full-time Senior Center for LGBT older adults. The primary function of the Harlem Program Coordinator is to plan and implement wellness, socialization and educational programming for LGBT older adults under the auspices of The SAGE Center. The Program Coordinator is responsible for the over-all maintenance and atmosphere of the Harlem space and for the supervision of the Harlem staff. The Program Coordinator must have some experience working with aging and /or LGBT Communities of Color and should ideally have experience in programmatic design and implementation. They must be able to interact with, relate to and work with LGBT older adults who are residents of Harlem and East Harlem. The Program Coordinator must be able to work in coordination with multiple community partners and other SAGE staff, both in and out of The SAGE Center. The Program Coordinator must be able to represent SAGE and speak about and represent the SAGE Harlem Program in various public venues and networking arenas.
- Coordinate and create innovative and sophisticated programming as mandated for The SAGE Center, to be located at SAGE Harlem.
- Supervise Harlem staff and lead them as a team in the creation and facilitation of SAGE Center educational, wellness, socialization and other activities.
- Publicize events through printed and electronic media (flyers, calendar, e-mail, Facebook), and work with SAGE Center Outreach Coordinator to insure that Harlem materials are included in their outreach.
- Develop rapport with participants and volunteers by interacting with them regularly.
- Build relationships with volunteers, consultants and community partners and make sure that support is provided to them during programs,
- Represent SAGE Harlem at community events, conferences, networking events and trainings as needed.
- Working with all unit staff, meet monthly and quarterly programming unit goals specified by DFTA and other contracts.
- Keep records of service units and other DFTA site-related requirements and send reports on time to proper funders.
- May be assigned other tasks and duties reasonably related to their job responsibilities.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience: Two (2) years’ experience in aging field, LGBT service or in program development.
Related Skills or knowledge:
- Ability to work under own initiative and lead a team.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer-literate, with knowledge of latest word processing software. Fluency in Publisher or similar design application is a plus.
- Self-starter with good organizational and time management skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- This position requires some flexibility around scheduling, including some weekends and evenings, but the regular hours are Monday – Friday 10-6pm.
- Program Coordinator will become knowledgeable about the variety of SAGE services available to participants and will learn to present on the basics of LGBT aging.
- This position requires attendance at some regular networking events and travel to community partner spaces throughout Harlem & East Harlem.
SAGE offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Stacey Lococo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, June 28, 2013. However, applications will be accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please.