Human Resource Generalist
Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) is the country's largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources to LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, provides education and technical assistance for aging providers and LGBT organizations through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, and cultural competence training through SAGECare. With offices in New York City, Washington, DC and Chicago, SAGE coordinates a growing network of 30 SAGE affiliates in 20 states and the District of Columbia.
Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer, the HR Generalist possesses the acumen to work effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. The HR Generalist must also possess outstanding interpersonal skills as this is a forward facing role, as well as demonstrate sound judgement and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters.
The HR Generalist will be expected to quickly become knowledgeable about all facets of the role and the organization at large. They must possess a high degree of professionalism, ethics, tact, initiative, and diplomacy, in performing HR-related duties. Work closely with senior HR management in supporting and upholding SAGE’s policies and procedures.
- A Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or equivalent plus a minimum of 3 years of experience in a professional-level HR position, or a Masters in Human Resources Management or equivalent, with a minimum of 1 year of experience in a professional-level HR position.
- Professional HR Certification (PHR) is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency across a broad array of HR management functions including recruitment, compensation, onboarding, employee relations, labor/employment regulations, performance management, and training and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team context across all dimensions of HR.
- Demonstrated success in influencing and motivating others to take action by adapting personal leadership style, anticipating and persuading, and making a compelling case.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional situations; respond promptly to needs; solicit feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Strong commitment to SAGE’s mission
In collaboration with the COO-CFO, and his or her designee, this position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, training, coaching, performance management, policy implementation, project management, affirmative action and employment law compliance. Specific responsibilities include:
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all company personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains employee handbook and policies and procedures manuals.
- Ensures consistency in the administration of HR guidelines and practices via interpretation, coaching and counseling.
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt, non-exempt personnel, and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; writes job descriptions and posts jobs.
- Partners with managers and supervisors to effectively manage Employee Relations issues end to end.
- Acts as a counselor and facilitator in resolving disputes between employees and their supervisors and managers, using care and judgment to ensure fairness and equity throughout the facilitation process
- Conducts investigations of employees for disciplinary matters; writes reports regarding the investigations and makes disciplinary recommendations in consultation with the COO-CFO.
- Handles employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing.
- Maintains human resource information system records, organization charts and employee directory.
- Develops and maintains EEO training program; maintain other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Assists in assessment of employee skills and knowledge; identifies talent gaps; makes recommendations to increase capacity through training, hiring or other talent development strategies.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite, especially Microsoft Outlook’s calendar functions, while also quickly learning processes specific to the department
Job Location: Midtown
Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume, to: Sheila Slaughter, firstname.lastname@example.org, with “HR Generalist” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.