Community Outreach Coordinator
Services & Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) is the country's largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBT organizations.
The five SAGE Centers are located in Brooklyn, Bronx, Harlem, Midtown and Staten Island and provide a comprehensive array of unique services and holistic programs related to arts and culture, fitness, food and nutrition, health and wellness and lifelong education.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will work primarily in the field building strategic relationships, conducting a variety of outreach activities with the intent to increase LGBT older adult membership and participation at all SAGE Centers. The Community Outreach/Marketing Coordinator reports to the Director of SAGE Centers.
- Develop and implement an outreach plan under the supervision of the Director of SAGE Centers and in collaboration with SAGE Center staff and community partners
- Develop relationships with senior centers, LGBT community-based organizations and other service providers, for the purpose of increasing attendance at SAGE Centers
- Conduct orientations and tours of SAGE Centers for individuals or groups
- Make presentations about SAGE, its mission and history at groups, organizations, companies, community boards, etc.
- Create and distribute appropriate promotional material
- Create monthly e-mail marketing to promote SAGE programs
- Coordinate outreach activities and provide materials
- Coordinate SAGE’s participation in various Pride events throughout New York City
- Complete monthly outreach reports, tracking progress on outreach plans
- Assist in ‘all-hands-on-deck’ programs that are identified as such at all SAGE Centers
- Attend conferences and in-services training sessions that contribute to professional enrichment
- Other tasks and duties as assigned by the Director of SAGE Centers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Sociology, Human Services, or a related field, strongly preferred.
- 2 to 3 years of experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), strongly preferred
- Substantive knowledge of, and/or prior work experience in the aging or LGBT fields, including working knowledge of history and issues facing marginalized older adults, strongly preferred
- Willingness to be trained on SAGE and DFTA databases, strongly preferred
- Passion for working with people from diverse backgrounds, and cultural and linguistic competency in regards to age, ability, sexuality, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, class and other characteristics that affect the lives of diverse older adults
- Must have the ability to effectively prepare and present information to various groups
- Exceptional organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize activities and meet deliverables under deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Ability to exert light physical effort that may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (15-25 pounds)
- Travel – This position requires extensive travel via public transportation throughout New York City. The Community Outreach Coordinator will spend a good portion of their time out of the office
- Flexible and dependable – this position requires working on occasional weekends and special event hours. The daily regular hours are Monday - Friday, 10am – 6pm
- Computer proficient, including Outlook, Publisher, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; and
- A commitment to the issues, constituency and values of SAGE
Job Location: SAGE Center in the Bronx, with some travel required.
Compensation: Salary DOE. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter, to: Arnold Lewis, email@example.com, and include “Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
EOE Employer: SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.