Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE) is the country's largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources to LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, provides education and technical assistance for aging providers and LGBT organizations through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, and cultural competence training through SAGECare. With offices in New York City, Washington, DC and Chicago, SAGE coordinates a growing network of 30 SAGE affiliates in 20 states and the District of Columbia.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Communications, the full-time Staff Writer will be the primary writer for all SAGE materials. This person will be an experienced writer, thorough editor, and nimble employee who can move quickly from task-to-task. A strong candidate must demonstrate the ability to effectively utilize different “voices” in SAGE’s communications. The Staff Writer will have experience in dealing with online, print and broadcast media. SAGE is looking to complete our dynamic team with someone who has a positive attitude, team-oriented approach, sense of humor, and who is looking to be part of a close-knit, fast-paced nonprofit community.
- Excellent writer and editor who is able to absorb and distill complex concepts into easily digestible content.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively under tight deadlines
- Researches, writes and edits materials such as op-eds, letters to editors, news releases, talking points, speeches, and backgrounders;
- Helps ensure efficient vetting of written products;
- Edits with speed, attention to detail, and accuracy;
- Staffs press conferences and other media events;
- Works with Assistant Director of Communications to coordinate targeted messaging efforts and issue campaigns around various SAGE initiatives;
- Evaluates and reports on effectiveness of communications strategies and recommends changes or improvements;
- Works strategically and collaboratively with other SAGE departments, including its national affiliates, to ensure consistent and pro-active messaging to diverse audiences;
- Monitors on-line news sources and newspapers daily for key issues/articles; and
- Works with Digital Content Manager and Digital Media Assistant(s) to create and integrate SAGE messaging across the multiple social media vehicles while continuing to search for new types of mediums helpful to SAGE.
- Additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree with substantial experience preferred
- At least 3 years of professional communications experience.
- Experience in mainstream journalism or PR, a plus.
- Proficiency with content management systems, such as WordPress or Typepad.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector, a plus.
- Experience with Adobe suite including Photoshop, Illustrator or related software and/or other technical tools of the trade that would benefit the department, a plus.
New York, NY
Salary depends on experience. SAGE offers a competitive benefits package as well as an exciting and unique work environment.
How to Apply
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples, to: Christina DaCosta at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Writer” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter and writing samples will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.
SAGE believes in equal opportunity in employment. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, HIV serostatus, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.