Senior Director for Finance, Operations & Planning
The Senior Director for Finance, Operations & Planning is a senior management position at SAGE. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director aligns SAGE’s financial direction, operations and systems in keeping with the organization’s Strategic Plan and Priorities. The Senior Director oversees all financial administration and operations. S/he must also work closely with the Executive Director, staff executive team, the Board of Directors, and other important stakeholders to enable SAGE to fulfill its mission. The Senior Director works in partnership with the Executive Director to oversee organizational planning and implementation of plans; and by identifying, recommending and pursuing strategic financial and operational opportunities that keep the organization healthy.
- Partner with the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee on strategic financial and operations issues; provide recommendations based on sound analysis and projections.
- Participate, as an integral member of the staff executive team, in SAGE’s periodic strategic planning process as well as its annual planning and budget process.
- Engage the Executive Director and the Board Finance Committee to develop short- and long-term financial and operations plans; identify possible opportunities to strengthen the organization’s financial and operational health; and identify and solve for associated risks.
Financial Leadership and Management
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets; collaborate with staff to develop and adhere to organizational, department and program budgets.
- Supervise a finance staff that currently includes a controller and two staff accountants.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; ensure availability of funds as needed; oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking and vendor relationships.
- Oversee complex government contract administration and reporting.
- Prepare, in collaboration with others, grant proposal budgets and modifications.
- Ensure finance staff’s preparation of timely and accurate financial reporting materials for internal and external stakeholders; serve as SAGE’s spokesperson for fiscal matters; communicate the organization’s financial position effectively to non fiscal persons; support and guide relevant SAGE staff in understanding and managing budgetary matters.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns; ensure adherence to government-related policies and procedures (e.g., allocation methodologies, vouchering)
- Keep current with fiscal best practices; track and ensure compliance with guidelines set by “charity watchdog” groups.
Operations Leadership and Management
- Staff Supervision: Oversee an Operations staff that currently consists of a Director of Operations, IT Coordinator, Director of Human Resources, and support staff.
- Site Management: Oversee administrative functions of all SAGE sites (currently consisting of three sites in New York City and satellite staff in Washington, DC and Chicago), ensuring smooth daily operations of physical plant and equipment; pursue a plan-oriented approach to site management and development.
- Information Technology: Through effective staff oversight, ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software, etc. Analyze SAGE’s current technology infrastructure; plan and develop the next level of information technology systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall. Support efforts to strengthen agency-wide data collection, sharing and usage in activities evaluation.
- Human Resources: Working with the Director of Human Resources, oversee the HR function of SAGE, including: a) recruitment, hiring and compensation; b) benefits administration and oversight; c) professional training and development; d) retention strategies; and e) regulatory oversight and legal compliance.
- Risk Management: Oversee legal activities (contracts, leases, other legal agreements); and business insurance procurement, monitoring and management. Consult with legal counsel, as needed, on a variety of organizational risk issues (e.g. trademark, corporate governance, real estate).
Planning Leadership and Management
- Develop and implement a system for regular tracking and reporting on progress against the goals of SAGE’s Strategic Plan and Annual Plan.
- Provide guidance for all Strategic Plan implementation processes.
- Provide leadership to make SAGE’s internal organizational processes stronger and more efficient.
- Partner with Executive Director and fellow Senior Directors to identify and implement efficiencies in existing agency practices and programs in order to optimize the time and efforts of staff at all levels.
- Manage key agency-wide special projects.
- Work effectively with SAGE’s Board of Directors; present periodically at Board meetings and to Board committees.
- Publicly represent SAGE with designated constituencies as needed.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in a deeply respected organization operating at the intersection of the LGBT and Aging fields. The Senior Director for Finance, Operations & Planning should be a strategic thinker, capable of providing a big-picture mentality, while also able to oversee the nuts-and-bolts operations of an evolving non-profit. S/he should be passionate about SAGE’s mission and understand and skillfully navigate the realities of the non-profit sector. S/he should be flexible and consistently demonstrate an ability to think creatively and outside of the box in the service of SAGE’s interests, while always maintaining the highest standards and alignment with industry best practices. Excellent communication is required for this position; the Senior Director must be able to speak in non-financial language, translate and teach financial literacy, communicate regularly and effectively with the Executive Director and staff executive team colleagues, and interact effectively with SAGE’s Board of Directors and multiple internal and external stakeholders. S/he should have significant experience at the senior levels of a non-profit organization with multiple funding sources, especially from government agencies (federal, state, and city) and foundations.
The Senior Director for Finance, Operations & Planning should have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a BS; an MBA and/or CPA is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a non-profit CFO or equivalent, resulting in the development and implementation of effective financial management strategies and solutions.
- Significant experience in and knowledge of non-profit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Patience and experience in educating a variety of stakeholders about an organization’s finances and their implications.
- Action-oriented, flexible and innovative approach to financial and operational management, with a proven track record of exceeding goals.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing human resources, information technology, and legal compliance.
- Excellent judgment in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- An ability to work well across a variety of functions and departments.
- Experienced manager of people with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals
- Self-directed, flexible and able to multi-task. Enjoys working hard and looks for challenges. Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Prior experience working with a non-profit Board of Directors
- Strong people skills, with an ability to partner effectively with a dynamic CEO and leadership team
- A “can-do” attitude and a willingness to make things possible.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A passion for SAGE’s mission and strategic priorities.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Jody West at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
No phone calls please.