LGBT Older People and Health Reform
For older people under age 65 and uninsured, the Marketplace provides a variety of insurance plans to make health care affordable for you and your family. The Marketplace Open Enrollment period is October 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. Got questions? Read through our FAQ below, or visit Healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596—help is available 24/7 in 150 languages.
For older people age 65+ and already on Medicare, the Marketplace does not affect you. However, between October 15 and December 7, 2013, you have the opportunity to review your current health and drug prescription coverage. Visit medicare.gov or call 1-800-Medicare for information on Medicare Open Enrollment.
Enrollment is easy—download our fact sheet for some simple steps to get you started.
Frequently Asked Questions
More questions? Visit Healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.
SAGE Blog Series on Obamacare
- SAGE and Pfizer’s 2013 LGBT Aging Series
- Health Insurance Marketplace Opens October 1
- Affordable Care Act: A Big Help to HIV+ Older Adults
- Five Reasons October 1 Matters to Older People of Color
- HHS awards $67 million to Navigators and recognizes SAGE as part of the 'Champions for Coverage' Network
- Health Care Reform: Health Insurance & Affordable Care Act, WebMD. This page includes simple tools—such as calculators, quizzes and videos—to help you figure out health insurance costs and how to apply for coverage.
- Subsidy Calculator, Kaiser Family Foundation. Beginning in October 2013, middle-income people under age 65, who are not eligible for coverage through their employer, Medicaid, or Medicare, can apply for tax credit subsidies available through state-based exchanges to help pay for insurance. Use this calculator to see if you might be eligible for a tax credit subsidy.
- Connecting with Coverage: 4 Things LGBT People Need to Know About the Health Insurance Marketplaces, Center for American Progress. An overview of what Obamacare means for LGBT people.
- FAQ: What You Need To Know About the New Online Marketplaces, Kaiser Health News. Wondering what a health insurance marketplace is? This article provides clear answers about the online marketplaces and how to use them.
- The Health Care Law's 10 Essential Benefits, AARP. Ten ways the new health care law benefits people ages 50-64.
- Get Ready to Get Health Coverage/¡Prepárate para obtener seguro médico!!, Families USA. Bilingual checklist of what you need to apply for health care coverage.
- The Marketplace is Only a Call, Click, or Conversation Away, healthcare.gov. All the ways you can get answers to your questions on Obamacare—online, phone, live chat, and more.